Thursday, October 9, 2008

You are My Sunshine #2

I got to feed McKenna for the first time only 10cc at a time (10cc = 1oz) She started to do better and was doing regular feedings and pooping regular and gaining some weight. On Nov. 15 they said "Are you guys ready to get out of here or what?" UMMM YEAH! We brought our daughter HOME that night! It was amazing to walk in the front door and have our baby with us! Things were going good feed...poop, feed...poop and so on. Nov. 26 we went back to IA City for a follow up appt. and due to her weight loss and her jaundice she decided to readmit her. In complete shock Terry & I followed the nurse to where we became far too familiar with 3JCW pediatric inpatient rooms! This can't be happening again! Thanksgiving is tomorrow, I thought we are suppose to thankful for having McKenna home not here having crappy hospital food! The doctors said that my breast milk was going through McKenna system too fast and she was not able to get the nutrients that she needed to grow and gain weight. So they put her on Progestimel predigested formula. Let me tell you a few things about this formula 1. It was EXPENSIVE 25.99 for the small can THANK GOD FOR WIC! 2. It STUNK!! Not the normal formula smell this was different I can't explain it just trust me when I say that it stunk. McKenna did not do well with the new formula she would drink it and all of the sudden she would projectile vomit it all back up. I mean it was like a fire hose of vomit coming out of her mouth. It was horriable! So she continued to lose weight so the put her on TPN -which is IV nutrition. She was starting to do better but still throwing up alot of her formula. The doctors decided to put in a central line in so we could give McKenna her TPN at home. Terry & I had to take "Central Line Care" classes we learned how to change the dressing around the central line, how to put new dressings on, how to set up an IV pump and alot of other things. Then we had to have an "Apartment" like run in the hospital (Terry & I were to take care of ALL McKenna's needs the nurses are there in case of emergency but we were to do it all) After we did all of that on Dec. 20 we got to bring our baby home for good this time!

No comments: